Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Back to R&D, phew!


Finally got to spend some more time working on my new RepRap design, so I guess I owe people a picture. We've been busy reorganising our business, looking for new premises, increasing our production volumes of PLA at Diamond Age Solutions and developing new stock. Anyhow, thanks to Her Majesty giving me an extra day off, The Simpleton design is now back on track.

As you can see, I'm opting for bevel gears to drive a cantilevered Z axis that in turn supports a cantilevered Y bed. The smooth tubing is all extruded aluminium, and both Z and Y axes have 608 bearings. Nothing is yet in its final place, and I still haven't designed the actual Y bed, but this baby is going to turn heads when she's done.

Yes I am using rather a lot of threaded rod still - it's the material for the job and because of the cantilevering I actually want a bit of weight in places. But there are a lot of places where the lighter aluminium tube can be used, and a few where it can be replaced with lengths of bamboo or whatever you have handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment